The Curio and Relic (C&R) license is a Federal Firearms License (FFL) that permits an individual to personally purchase historical arms across state lines. The biggest uses for this license are the ability to receive firearms by mail or purchase pistols out of state. C&R firearms are defined in Title 27, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 478.11 as those “…of special interest to collectors by reason of some quality other than is associated with firearms intended for sporting use or as offensive or defensive weapons.”
The ATF has a page concerning the details of the C&R license including a pair of FAQs. The basic component to understand, however, is that firearms over 50 years in age are covered in the C&R license and therefore available for purchase under the license.
Can I get a C&R License?
You must answer no to the following:
- Have you willfully violated the Gun Control Act?
- Have you been convicted of a felony?
- Will you lie on your forms to the BATF?
You must answer yes to the following:
- Are you 21 years of age or older?
- Are you a U.S. citizen or permanent resident?
- Do you have $30? (yes they take Diner’s Club)
To receive your C&R license you must fill out two forms, pay $30, and be patient. Details from the ATF are here, but the short list is below.
1. Download these two documents:
2. Fill them out (including payment information for $30) and mail here:
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
PO Box 409567
Atlanta, Georgia 30384-9567 USA
3. Wait and Receive
You will receive a packet in the mail with your license and details. Don’t sign it! You’ll only sign copies of it when you mail them out.
4. Go buy guns
Just make sure you document everything as instructed by the BATF in that packet you received. You may have to go through an inventory later.